It’s wet and freezing here in Sydney. I’ve just turned the fridge off at the wall. Seriously. It’s a waste of power and the house is an icebox anyway. I feel like a character from Doctor Zhivago. The weather predictions for the next week are gloomy—more of the same, only more so.
So what do you do with kids, on a wet, cold long weekend, in a city designed for the outdoors? Here’s the Itchee Feet Top 5:
1. The Powerhouse Museum is always a hit with kids. Up until recently we had an annual pass, and the kids never tired of it. Open 10am-5pm daily, it’s a great place to escape the weather.
2. Still at Darling Harbour, take time out to watch a movie at the IMAX theatre. Never a cheap day out, especially for a family of 6, it’s worth the cost now and then to escape the rain and see some of their epic adventure films.
3. Another one we’ve enjoyed an annual pass to is the Australian Museum. The Kidspace area is especially good for younger children. 9.30am-5pm daily.
4. STRIKE! Go bowling. We frequent the AMF near us. Book ahead on rainy days.
5. A lesser-known gem is the Marine Discovery Centre at Bondi Beach. Located in the Bondi Pavilion, this centre is a family must-see.