There are many difficult decisions to make when holidaying in Ballina… like where will we take the kids swimming next? For such a tiny dot on the map, Ballina leaves families spoilt for choice.
We usually managed two different swimming spots per day. These are our top 5:
- Shelly Beach. This is a great family beach, especially in the morning. (The wind often picks up in the afternoon.) It’s always patrolled, has a pool for toddlers, and a large area of rocks and natural rockpools for older children to explore.
- The Serpentine. This part of North Creek is a hit with kids at low tide.
- Angels Beach. Locally known as Oma’s Beach, this quiet swimming spot is one of the most beautiful beaches on the north coast.
- Shaw’s Bay. A great place for picnics and calm family swimming time.
- Ballina Pool. Okay, it’s not as scenic as some of the other spots I haven’t mentioned here. But it does have a waterslide and our older two boys love it. I don’t mind it either. Ballina Pool is old school—and in a world of indoor aquatic centres, it makes a refreshing change.