Guest blogger today is Stephen Williams is a Kiawah Island enthusiast and manages Kiawah Island Escapes, helping families with Kiawah accommodations.
It’s hard not to be happy when you’re at the beach – any beach, really – but if you’re looking for the ultimate in island escapes, your search stops at Kiawah Island, South Carolina.
Recently ranked as “America’s Happiest Seaside Town,” Kiawah is a Southern beach paradise offering a complete vacation experience for the whole family. And since it’s located a mere 21 miles from Historic Charleston, Kiawah is a great place to visit any time of the year!
Indeed, with outdoor activities galore, a 10 mile beach, unique dining options, fabulous shopping and championship golf courses (including the world-renowned Ocean Course, host to the 2012 PGA Tournament), there’s something for every member of your family. Here’s a bit more on the myriad of options that Kiawah offers.
Getting Out and About
With 30+ miles of bike trails interweaving across this Lowcountry delight, Kiawah is best explored on bicycle. Guests may rent bikes for the length of their stay and navigate through Kiawah’s majestic nature trails or cruise up and down its expansive coastline.
*Tip: For amazing marsh views over the Kiawah River and to cap off your pedaling expedition, be sure to check out the Marsh View Tower behind the second security gate. The views extend for miles and the Tower is the place to watch the sunset!
Night Heron Park
Families can find plenty to do at Night Heron Park, which offers a wide variety of outdoor activities throughout the year. For instance:
- Book a nature tour at the Nature Center and learn all about Kiawah’s interesting and intriguing wildlife
- Join in a pick-up game of basketball, volleyball or soccer on any of the park’s free-to-use courts and fields – or start your own and welcome other guests to participate!
- At various times of the year, the Park hosts special events, such as movie nights or cookouts featuring live entertainment that is appropriate for the whole family
Kiawah Island has a wide array of dining options, including:
- Fine Dining: The Ocean Room is Kiawah’s signature steakhouse and this upscale restaurant is located in the East Beach section of the island.
- Home cooking: If you are a BBQ connoisseur, the Cherrywood BBQ restaurant, located in the Osprey Point Clubhouse, will please even the most diehard BBQ fans!
- Freshfields Village: This all-encompassing marketplace is located at the entrance to the island and has something for every member of the family. Everything from pizza to sushi can be had and be sure to visit in the morning: there are two coffee shops and a market that offers everything from bagels to doughnuts.
Game Changing Golf
For the golfer in the family, Kiawah Island will not disappoint. Kiawah is one of the nation’s leading golf destinations offering 5 championship courses including the Ocean Course. Offering Atlantic ocean views at every hole, this awesome course will transform your game! Caddy services are also available at the Ocean Course.
The two sections of Kiawah, East and West Beach each have different accommodation offerings. Visitors can bookKiawah Island any time of year and options range from villas, cottages and visitors may find accommodations options at Kiawah Island.
*Tip: Book your Kiawah Island either on or close to the beach for the ultimate in convenience.
So, what places are you planning on checking out during your Kiawah Island escape?