One of the great things about a festival like WOMAD is that you expose your kids to dozens of cultures, all at one event. Get those (itchee) feet tapping right around the world!
2011’s WOMAD had (to name a few of the many acts we saw):
– The Creole Choir of Cuba
– The outrageous Mongolian answer to the Pogues, Hanggai
– Indie harp player, Joanna Newsom, from the USA
– The last living exponent of rango, Egypt/Sudan’s Rango
– The mindblowing Faiz Ali Faiz from Pakistan
– 17 Hippies from Germany
– Syria’s Omar Souleyman
– Nathalie Natiembe, from the French province of Reunion
– Canada’s ScrapArtsMusic, who play power percussion from re-assembled junk
– My absolute festival favorite… Aussie band, Dubmarine. Check them out
There are so many different types of festivals for families nowadays—food, music, arts. It’s a wonderful way to show your kids the world, without the jetlag.