Welcome to our #Wanderlustwednesday guest blogger, Amanda from Hot Mama Travel.
Las Vegas! Just the word alone invokes images of showgirls, casinos, sexy pool parties, over-the-top cocktails and hot nightclubs. Sin City is the ultimate adult playground.
So, it is no surprise that I’m often met with odd looks when people discover I actually enjoy taking my kids to Las Vegas.
Can you really have fun in Vegas if you bring the kids?
Yes! There is so much to do as a family that it is nearly impossible NOT to have fun! From the strip to individual hotel and casinos, the entertainment is nonstop for all ages! In fact, it was hard to narrow my list to only 5 kid-friendly activities!
- Pool: The best activity to do with kids in Las Vegas is to spend the day by the pool. Not every pool is a wild day club party. Many hotels have beautiful pools that are perfect for families. Our family favorite is The Mirage Pool with its cascading waterfalls and tropical lush landscaping. A day by the pool is a great way to have fun, enjoy the desert sun and let the kids burn-off some extra energy.
- Mermaids at Silverton: I have always been obsessed with mermaids and apparently, I’m not alone. The crowds really show up to view the real Mermaids swimming around in the Silverton Hotel and Casino aquarium. The mermaids swim Thursday through Sunday at various times throughout the day. Seeing the mermaids is the first thing we do when we arrive in Vegas. The mermaids are super interactive with the kids, capturing their attention and getting them really excited. It sets the mood for the rest of the trip.
- Secret Garden & Dolphin Habitat: Located behind Mirage’s tropical pool is the Siegfried & Roy’s Secret Garden and Dolphin Habitat. Kids under 3 are free, but kids 4 to 12 are $15, while adults $20. However, there is a discount offered to Mirage guests and Mlife members. It’s worth the money, because the whole family will enjoy the close interaction with the dolphins and big cats that live at the Mirage.
- Show & Strip Entertainment: Las Vegas offers endless opportunities for entertainment. All along the main strip, many hotels have free shows that take place nightly. For instance, Belliagio has the big water show, The Mirage has the Volcano and Caesars Palace has the Fall of Atlantis. Many restaurants have live entertainment, and kids are allowed as long as the venue is serving food. I love the Nine Fine Irishmen, because they have a great Irish band. Also along the strip are various characters and street performers, perfect for entertaining and photo ops. They are not affiliated with the hotels and work for tips, so have some singles on you so your kids can take some photos. Beyond the free entertainment are the amazing high-quality signature shows. Every hotel has one and unless they contain adult material, children 5 and over can attend a show. Mystere at Treasure Island and Love at The Mirage are excellent choices. It makes for a fun evening for the whole family!
- Arcades and Rides: Every hotel as an arcade, but one of my kids’ favorites is the one at NYNY. Older kids will like the Big Apple Rollercoaster that swoops high above and around the hotel. Excalibur is very kid-oriented and has a great arcade as well. Arcades are not the most fun for mom and dad, but I usually make a deal with my kids. I agree to let the kids have an hour of arcade time in exchange for good behavior at the pub. (Excellent idea—ed)
Las Vegas is not just about the adults. It’s actually a very family-friendly town. The beauty of Las Vegas is that it can be whatever you want it to be. If want to take your kids, then take your kids. There is plenty to do in this crazy town and family fun it is not hard to find.